[LightDM] Moving mailing list from freedesktop.org infrastructure

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Wed Feb 20 01:47:13 UTC 2019

At Wed, 20 Feb 2019 11:07:53 +1000 Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at shikadi.net> wrote:

> > > +1 for Google Groups.
> >
> > groups.io is even better.  And is not part of "Big Brother Google".
>
> If it's a public group then it doesn't really matter whether it's
> hosted by "big brother" or not, since big brother will see it anyway
> wherever it's located.
>
> I had a look at groups.io and it does seem pretty good.  It looks like
> you can't get an RSS feed of new topics/threads (only a feed of
> individual messages) so Google Groups is a bit more flexible for RSS
> users, but it does seem to work quite well in other respects.
>
> Looks like you only need an account to use the web interface, which has
> both threaded views and a straight list of messages.  Apparently you
> can "mute" individual threads which could be useful on some lists,
> although it doesn't look like this would affect the RSS feed as the URL
> is a shared one and not user-specific (although I haven't joined a
> group yet, maybe you get your own RSS URL once you join a group?)
>
> It's certainly faster to access than Google's offering and it's a bit
> clearer about how to join the group and manage your subscription, so
> I would be happy to use groups.io as well.  It does look like it has a
> more enthusiastic development team behind it and is probably a better
> fit for an open source project.

Two groups (related to each other) that I was on moved from Yahoo to
groups.io.  It was seamless and painless.  I have no interest or use for any
sort of web interface and if the LightDM mailing list moves to a pure web
interface, I am gone.  Oh, and I have no interest in an RSS feed, since I
won't ever be using the web interface anyway.  Anything interesting that lands
in my E-Mail inbox I would just file on my local file system for later access.
(I am on a dialup connection, so saving things like URLs is not useful.)

> Cheers,
> Adam.

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933