[LightDM] Different [Seat] sections for different display types?

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed May 8 00:41:19 UTC 2019

> I would like to configure LightDM with different default desktops for
> different display types.  Specifically, local X (and maybe eventually
> Wayland) users will default to Plasma, while VNC users will default to
> MATE.

This seems like you want the same LightDM configuration, but you want
different X sessions depending on where the login came from.  I am
guessing you would modify the Xsession script used by LightDM, so that
instead of the normal behaviour (looking for ~/.Xsession then falling
back to a default) you instead check where the user is connecting from
and launch the desired environment there.

> Looking through lightdm.conf, it seems like this should be possible with
> separate [Seat:...] sections, each of which would have the appropriate
> user-session set.  However, I haven't been able to figure out how to
> name or otherwise distinguish the [Seat:...] sections.

I have also been wondering the same thing.  I think seats are managed
elsewhere (perhaps with loginctl) and LightDM just picks up the seats
declared elsewhere.

However note that seats mainly seem to be intended for having multiple
physical logins on the same PC, by allocating resources (screens and
keyboards) to different users on the same machine.  I am not sure
whether remote connections from VNC would count as additional seats or
not, since they are using different resources but then they are not
physically attached to the machine.

If you figure anything out with the seats let us know!

Cheers,
Adam.