[Mesa-dev] so the development model is working?

Bridgman, John John.Bridgman at amd.com
Fri Apr 30 17:40:23 PDT 2010

> idr wrote :
>  Before we changed to this model, Brian and I were basically
> the only ones that cherry-picked stuff back.  It was
> difficult to figure out which changes from three months ago
> should be brought from master to stable.  I'll point out that
> we basically had *no* process, and anything is an improvement
> over nothing.

I think everyone would agree that the problem you describe needed a solution - the only debate seems to be about whether branch-first submission is the best solution for everyone.

How about something simple like the following ?

1. fixes go in master first

2. developer who submits a fix to master also decides if it should be cherry-picked to one or more release branches, and does so either immediately or (ideally) after a day in master, long enough for obvious problems to get noticed

3. if developer doesn't have time to cherry-pick immediately then a tag is used to make sure the fix doesn't get lost

4. if developer isn't sure whether fix should go to a release branch then email the list

5. changes specific to release branch (update of release #s, docco etc.) go directly to release branch and don't get merged back to master