[Mesa-dev] VTK Offscreen Segfaults

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Wed Aug 4 12:01:44 PDT 2010

"Kevin H. Hobbs" <hobbsk at ohiou.edu> writes:
> building mesa with:
>
>  ./autogen.sh \
>   --with-driver=3Dxlib \
>   --disable-gallium \
>   --without-demos
> make

No "--enable-gl-osmesa" ?

> It was also at this time that libOSMesa went from being linked
> against libGL to being linked to mesa internal static libraries.
>
> I build VTK and mesa from their development repositories every night.
>
> This is what gdb has to say after the segfault.
>
> #0  vbo_exec_EvalCoord1fv (u=3D0x203) at vbo/vbo_exec_api.c:458
> #1  0x00007ffff7b3263d in vtkOpenGLRenderWindow::OpenGLInit (this=3D0x69d=
> 310)

1) Make sure you've got -fvisibility=hidden when you're building;
the VBO code seems to exist in multiple s.o. and i've seen similar
segfaults before w.r.t. jumping into the wrong shared object (since
Mesa has two libs that VTK needs).

2) Make sure to switch the Mesa libraries in VTK's CMake step.  The
critical component is that your link lines must put "OSMesa" and
"MesaGL" in the 'correct' ordering, where 'correct' depends on which
you want to use (sounds like OSMesa in your case, so OSMesa should come
first).

3) Doesn't seem likely that ::OpenGLInit calls vbo_exec_EvalCoord1fv :)
Are you missing debug symbols in Mesa?  Could you get a stack trace w/
full debug symbols?

Cheers,

-tom