[Mesa-dev] Mesa demos release & version number

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Mon Jun 21 16:06:43 PDT 2010

Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Jerome Glisse <glisse at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some distribution (like Fedora) are thinking about making
>> new package for mesa demos but so far there is no release
>> for it.
>>
>> Another issue is the versioning of mesa demos, i expect
>> that mesa demos will be more stable than mesa thus i don't
>> think we should follow mesa versioning but let it have
>> it's own versioning (should we start with version 1.0 ?)
>>
>> If we can agree on versioning i can try to see if my kung-fu
>> is good enough to do a release of mesa demo :)
>
> Well, if you start with the current mesa version, distro demo packages
> won't have to bump their epochs to upgrade.

I don't have a strong opinion on this, but I think it would confuse
some people to see something like the "old" MesaDemos-7.8.x.tar.gz and
the "new" MesaDemos-1.0.tar.gz in the same place.  Everyone thinks
larger version numbers indicate newer versions.

I don't want to complicate the lives of distro maintainers too, as Dan
implied.

-Brian