[Mesa-dev] Gallium API questions

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 15:25:51 PDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 11:51 PM, Corbin Simpson
<mostawesomedude at gmail.com>wrote:

> Yep, it's that time again. These are just things marked in the docs as
> unknown, so I'm not grinding any axes, just cleaning stuff up.
>
> ~ "If a surface includes several layers/slices (XXX: not yet...) then
> all layers will be cleared." From the information on
> pipe_context::clear(). Is this just wishful thinking, or do drivers
> need to implement this?

I believe this has something to do with geometry shaders where you can
select a layer (slice, face) you want to emit a primitive to. This way you
may e.g. render to a whole cubemap in one pass.

http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/blend_func_extended.txt

> ~ If logicop_enable and independent_blend_enable are set, are lops
> performed for all render targets, or only those that have blend_enable
> set?
>
> ~ PIPE_CAP_TEXTURE_SHADOW_MAP and PIPE_CAP_MAX_PREDICATE_REGISTERS
> aren't explained.

I think PIPE_CAP_TEXTURE_SHADOW_MAP means shadow samplers.

> ~ PIPE_CAP_GUARD_BAND_* obviously refers to the guard bands, but what
> exactly do they mean as capabilities? Maximum guard band settings?
> Minimum?
>
> ~ Could somebody explain exactly what's up with the RCC opcode? Its
> definition is kind of ridiculous: dst = (1 / src.x) > 0 ? clamp(1 /
> src.x, 5.42101e-020, 1.884467e+019) : clamp(1 / src.x, -1.884467e+019,
> -5.42101e-020)
>
> ~ Are we going to introduce new cap bits for parts of the TGSI ISA?
> (I'll understand if this is off the table for now.)
>
> ~ TGSI_SEMANTIC_POSITION is (x, y, z, w) where x, y, and z are
> position, and w is the homogeneous coordinate. Is w also for
> perspective divide? Is the perspective divide configurable, or is it
> always done in shaders?

The perspective divide is done per-pixel after the rasterization and before
the fragment shader, and there is no way to disable it in Gallium. It's
never done in shaders, it's rather a fixed functionality and imposing
additional restrictions on it would make it hard to implement in drivers.