[Mesa-dev] Build failure since May 6

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri May 14 07:43:14 PDT 2010

On 05/14/2010 08:51 AM, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs <hobbsk at ohiou.edu> wrote:
>>
>> I tried it and it tests as well with VTK as any recent build.
>
> Thanks. Well, you and Tom use a standalone osmesa. The only distro I
> looked at (fedora) uses a standalone osmesa. Maybe the build should
> just do that instead of trying to link to gl in some situations. It
> could certainly make the build a lot nicer. I'll try to put that into
> a formal patch since there's some other cleanup.
>
> --
> Dan

I look forward to the patch.

I am confused about the term "standalone osmesa" could you please tell
me if you mean :

1. a build of Mesa where only libOSMesa.so is produced?

2. a build of Mesa where libGL.so and libOSMesa.so are produced but the
dynamic linker will need no symbols from libGL.so in order to load
libOSMesa.so?

3. a build of Mesa where libGL.so and libOSMesa.so are produced but the
dynamic linker will need symbols from libGL.so in order to load
libOSMesa.so.

I have been using the build target :

make linux-x86-64

to test VTK and ParaView.

I believe this build target is the case 3 above which sounds to me like
"standalone Mesa" but not really "standalone OSMesa" which could be
cases 1 and 2 above.

The build target created by configure --with-driver=xlib also seems to
be case 3 above but because of the hidden symbols problem from
-fvisibility=hidden your patch will make this target produce case 2 above.

Is all that correct?