[Mesa-dev] Removing ARB_imaging subset extensions

Jakob Bornecrantz jakob at vmware.com
Mon Sep 20 11:13:23 PDT 2010

On 20 sep 2010, at 19.58, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> nVidia dropped hardware support starting from nv40.
>
> For texture compression, S3TC or R-component-only textures should
> usually be a better option, and for other uses shader-based techniques
> are more flexible.

The advantage is that lookup is done before filtering, while with
shaders you need to do the filtering yourself.

IIRC from XDS weren't there some ES extension that actually fit what
hardware does better, or doesn't it fit the needs of apps as well?
Then again I'm not for keeping this code.

Cheers Jakob.