[Mesa-dev] DEATH to old drivers!

Eugeni Dodonov eugeni at dodonov.net
Wed Aug 24 15:50:37 PDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 19:41, Luc Verhaegen <libv at skynet.be> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 03:34:44PM -0700, Ian Romanick wrote:
> >
> > I'll also point out that DRI2 isn't the only problem.  There are a lot
> > of refactors and optimizations that I'd like to do that will benefit
> > more modern cards.  However, due to missing (hardware) features and lack
> > of a maintainer, these older drivers make this somewhere between
> > impossible and excruciating.  That's what I'm really trying to
> > accomplish.  I want to reduce the ongoing maintenance of drivers that
> > are actively being developed.
>
> So mesa will only either support full cpu rendering, or only rendering
> on those chips who have those features that infrastructure developers
> care for today. This will narrow down the already limited "working linux
> hardware" timeframe further.

I think you missing a point there. Those drivers will work (if it can be
called "work" :)) with older mesa versions, nothing stops you from
downgrading mesa on relict systems which only has museum cards.

But the state is that no new development nor support nor maintainance nor
even touching happens with those drivers at all for the past years, so they
are just sitting idle there.

If someone (and has such cards, and believe that they should be maintained)
volunteeres to maintain them and bring them back to shape, I believe that
this someone will be very *very* welcomed to do so. Otherwise, I agree that
those drivers should be dropped from never releases.

That's how life works...

--
Eugeni Dodonov
http://eugeni.dodonov.net/