[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): glsl: Add using statements for standard library functions.

Vinson Lee vlee at vmware.com
Fri Feb 4 11:16:55 PST 2011

GNU doesn't guarantee that C standard library symbols from C++-style headers are in the global namespace, although in practice they always are.

Here's the link to the GNU manual.

http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/using_headers.html#manual.intro.using.headers.cheaders

<quote>
The standard specifies that if one includes the C-style header (<math.h> in this case), the symbols will be available in the global namespace and perhaps in namespace std:: (but this is no longer a firm requirement.) On the other hand, including the C++-style header (<cmath>) guarantees that the entities will be found in namespace std and perhaps in the global namespace.

Usage of C++-style headers is recommended, as then C-linkage names can be disambiguated by explicit qualification, such as by std::abort. In addition, the C++-style headers can use function overloading to provide a simpler interface to certain families of C-functions. For instance in <cmath>, the function std::sin has overloads for all the builtin floating-point types. This means that std::sin can be used uniformly, instead of a combination of std::sinf, std::sin, and std::sinl.
</quote>