[Mesa-dev] rationale for GLubyte pointers for strings?

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Tue Jul 19 11:20:54 PDT 2011

Hi all,

This isn't quite the right place for this question, but I've searched
through old standards and googled without any luck, so hopefully
somebody here knows the history behind GLubyte*.

glGetString and gluErrorString, plus maybe some other functions, return
GLubyte pointers instead of simply character pointers.  I can't imagine
an implementation does anything else internally other than use const
char*'s and cast them to the type the interface requires.

What's the rationale here?  It appears to me to be a desire of GL to
avoid depending on the std C library, but types, especially char, are
part of the standard, the compiler.

Anyone know the history here?

Thanks,

-tom