[Mesa-dev] Status of VDPAU and XvMC state-trackers (was Re: Build error on current xvmc-r600 pipe-video)

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Sat Jun 4 18:28:21 PDT 2011

I think we need to have a proper review round of the gallium interfaces, so that we have an interface everybody feels that we can support going forward, which did not happen last round.

That said, I don't think much attention has been given to this branch outside from those working on it. So those with constructive feedback should say now, or "forever hold your peace". Because one way or the other, it doesn't make sense to have useful code on a branch.

Attached is the diff between pipe-video and master for src/gallium/include/*

I need to look more closely at this, but I can't help thinking that the new interfaces are quite different from the rest of gallium's 3d interfaces. Instead of being an extension to gallium 3D interfaces/objects, pipe-video seems more like a completely parallel set of interfaces/objects.

- AFACIT all drivers implement pipe_video context using vl_create_context(pipe_context *). If so then it makes no sense for this to be a gallium interface. It should all be state tracker code.

At very least there are ovious things that need to be fixed:

- get_param / is_format_supported should not be duplicated from screen.
- #if 0 ... #endif code in the interface headers

I'd also would like to see how generic these interfaces are (e.g. could we use this to implement DXVA DDI).

Jose