[Mesa-dev] s/bool/boolean/

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Wed Jun 8 07:54:15 PDT 2011

Personally, I prefer the standard C bool type, given it's a) standard, b) shorter. Furthermore Microsoft's windows.h already defines boolean:

  $ grep -r '\<boolean\>' /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/include/
  /usr/i586-mingw32msvc/include/rpcndr.h:typedef unsigned char boolean;

which can create havoc depending on how the windows.h is included.

I understand the gallium's naming conventing of taking the GL types such as GLboolean and GLuint and stripping the GL prefix, but there are already too many bool type definitions out there -- often incompatible ones (sometimes int).

So, I really see no point for boolean type other than consistency for sake of it, and if we're really cleaning up the sources, I'd much rather do it on opposite direction, i.e., s/\<boolean\>/bool/g.

Anyway, this is probably something we might not achieve consensus, so no biggie if we stick boolean as far as I'm concerned.

Jose