[Mesa-dev] multiple versions in version string

Nathan Kidd nathan-ml at spicycrypto.ca
Mon Jun 20 13:03:04 PDT 2011

On 11-06-20 03:46 PM, tom fogal wrote:
> Nathan Kidd<nathan-ml at spicycrypto.ca>  writes:
>> On 11-06-20 02:55 PM, tom fogal wrote:
>>> Nathan Kidd<nathan-ml at spicycrypto.ca>   writes:
> [snip]
>>> You are correct, rendering is indirect!  I was unaware that direct
>>> vs. indirect limited *GL* features.  Why is that the case, and what
>>> can be done?
>>
>> Of course, for indirect rendering every glFoo() function call needs
>> to be mapped to (GL)X protocol.  Protocol exists up to OpenGL 1.4.
>
> Ahh, I had mistakenly believed that the GLX wrapping was somehow
> generic/automatically specified.  Sounds like each function has to be
> specified explicitly?  Presumably by Khronos?  Ouch.

Yes, though I'm not sure any GLX protocol has been agreed on since the
older ARB days.

When the gl calls affect state it is harder to automatically generate
thecode. (The X server is multiplexing potentially multiple GL clients
into the same process and needs to keep switching contexts, etc..)

-Nathan