[Mesa-dev] Truncated extensions string

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Fri Mar 11 09:04:39 PST 2011

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:33:13 +0000, José Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> The problem from
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa3d-dev@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12493.html
>
> is back, and now a bit worse -- it causes Quake3 arena demo to crash (at
> least the windows version). The full version works fine. I'm not sure
> what other applications are hit by this. See the above thread for more
> background.
>

> There are two major approaches:
>
> 1) sort extensions chronologically instead of alphabetically. See
> attached patch for that
>
>   - for those who prefer to see extensions sorted alphabetically in
> glxinfo, we could modify glxinfo to sort then before displaying
>
> 2) detect broken applications (i.e., by process name), and only sort
> extensions strings chronologically then
>
> Personally I think that varying behavior based on process name is a ugly
> and brittle hack, so I'd prefer 1), but I just want to put this on my
> back above all, so whatever works is also fine by me.

If this is just a hack for one broken application, and we think that
building in a workaround for this particular broken application is
important (I don't), I still prefer an obvious hack for that broken
application like feeding it a tiny extension string that it cares about,
instead of reordering the extension list.