[Mesa-dev] Truncated extensions string

José Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Fri Mar 11 10:46:31 PST 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-11 at 09:04 -0800, Eric Anholt wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Mar 2011 10:33:13 +0000, José Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> > The problem from
> >
> > http://www.mail-archive.com/mesa3d-dev@lists.sourceforge.net/msg12493.html
> >
> > is back, and now a bit worse -- it causes Quake3 arena demo to crash (at
> > least the windows version). The full version works fine. I'm not sure
> > what other applications are hit by this. See the above thread for more
> > background.
> >

> > There are two major approaches:
> >
> > 1) sort extensions chronologically instead of alphabetically. See
> > attached patch for that
> >
> >   - for those who prefer to see extensions sorted alphabetically in
> > glxinfo, we could modify glxinfo to sort then before displaying
> >
> > 2) detect broken applications (i.e., by process name), and only sort
> > extensions strings chronologically then
> >
> > Personally I think that varying behavior based on process name is a ugly
> > and brittle hack, so I'd prefer 1), but I just want to put this on my
> > back above all, so whatever works is also fine by me.
>
> If this is just a hack for one broken application, and we think that
> building in a workaround for this particular broken application is
> important (I don't), I still prefer an obvious hack for that broken
> application like feeding it a tiny extension string that it cares about,
> instead of reordering the extension list.

There are many versions of Quake3 out there, some fixed, others not, and
others enhanced. This means a tiny string would prevent any Quake3
application from finding newer extensions. So I think that if we go for
the application name detection then we should present the whole
extension string sorted chronologically, instead of giving a tiny
string.

Jose