[Mesa-dev] Naked DXTn support via ARB_texture_compression?

Petr Sebor petr at scssoft.com
Sat Mar 19 16:42:55 PDT 2011

On 19.3.2011 16:06, Henri Verbeet wrote:
> On 19 March 2011 12:24, Petr Sebor<petr at scssoft.com>  wrote:
>> But just because we are all 'used to' simply check for the existence
>> of the GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc doesn't mean we really want to use it
>> at all.
>> Many of the current applications do not. Limited ARB_texture_compression is
>> sufficient enough
>> for all our needs.
> Sure. All I'm saying is that as far as Wine is concerned, we wouldn't
> use that kind of undocumented hack. There would have to be a proper GL
> extension offering compressed formats but not runtime compression /
> decompression. That doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to
> convince other Mesa developers that this is a good idea, just that
> usefulness to Wine isn't one of the arguments.

Henri,

I apologize for touching Wine. It just immediately came to my mind knowing
all D3D games that can be played under it (and care about S3TC) already
come with precompressed data. I just thought this might be good thing
for its users.
Probably not.

And this is not an undocumented hack. ARB_texture_compression explicitly
defines mechanisms to work with 'unknown' formats providing a safe
passthrough.
Thats what glCompressedTexImage actually is for.

Petr

--
Petr Sebor / SCS Software [ http://www.scssoft.com ]