[Mesa-dev] mesademos build system: would one be enough?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Mon Nov 21 03:53:37 PST 2011

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> Johannes Obermayr's recent patch series remind me of one thing I've been planning to ask here for quite some time:
>
> Would anybody oppose dropping automake build system in mesademos for just cmake ?
>
> On Mesa there is rationale behind the two different build systems (automake and scons), but for mesademos, there's nothing that automake can do that can't be made with cmake; both generate makefiles giving a similar experience to Linux/Unix developers; cmake is already exclusively used in piglit, so there's substantial expertise/familiarity on mesa developers community already; and cmake has the advantage over automake of supporting native Windows/MSVC builds.
>
> So I really don't think there's any need for automake on mesademos anymore.
>
> I know mesademo's cmake build system does not yet build some apps/demos, but this is some thing that I could easily and gladly fix if we agreed on deprecating automake over cmake on mesademos.

I've no real objections to it but the big difference between piglit
and mesa-demos is that distros package mesa-demos, nobody packages
piglit really and there is little reason to.

so dropping automake means all the downstream consumers have to redo
their packaging to use cmake which can be a bit painful.

Though I'm sure fedora has lots of simple cmake things to steal
packaging info from.

Dave.