[Mesa-dev] XCB-only GLX protocol?

Jeremy Huddleston jeremyhu at apple.com
Mon Nov 28 20:39:21 PST 2011

On Nov 28, 2011, at 6:56 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:13 AM, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I'm starting to work on GLX_ARB_create_context.  This extension and the
>> layered GLX_ARB_create_context_profile extension add some GLX protocol.  Is
>> there any reason to keep supporting non-XCB protocol?  Are there any
>> platforms that can't / don't use XCB for X protocol?
>>
>> I'm not planning to gut any non-XCB code yet, but that would happen
>> eventually.  I just don't want to implement all of the protocol twice. That
>> seems like an unnecessary hassle.
>>
>> Opinions?
>
> No problems with me but I think you should get sign-off from various
> platform stakeholders before doing it (BSD, Mac, Cygwin). Jeremy and
> who does cygwin?

XQuartz transitioned to XCB a few releases ago, and we're fully committed to it.  I bless any Xlib code that you want to nuke in the transition to XCB!!

We may have some difficulty in the src/glx/apple code since AppleDRI and AppleWM are Xlib-only.  I'm hoping to eventually move away from these protocols, and I'll just deal with the fallout as it happens.  Please CC me on reviews with a branch I can merge to test the changes before they are merged into master.

Thanks