[Mesa-dev] [Patch 1/4] Improve wayland-drm basing on gbm to act as generic buffer manager for wayland

Gwenole Beauchesne gb.devel at gmail.com
Sun Apr 22 22:48:19 PDT 2012

Hi Halley,

2012/4/23 Zhao, Halley <halley.zhao at intel.com>:

> Could you give us some comments on this new proposal by using gbm?

It seems your patches 3/4 and 4/4 did not reach the list, according
the archives. Could you please repost them?

Moving wayland-*.xml to Weston is a bad idea IMHO. Other compositors
could also use the same interface. I believe the following could be
done instead:

1. Mark wl_drm interfaces as "deprecated" at the linker level, for
mesa next-release. Then, remove it for next.next-release or
next^3-release.

2. Create a new wl_gbm interface (and directory), derived from the
current wayland-drm/. I think gbm/frontends/wayland/ could be
appropriate for it. Exported prefix for this API would be wl_gbm_ and
not wayland_gbm_, in order to align with naming conventions for e.g.
wl_shm buffer interface.

Prerequisite for (2) would be the addition of a
gbm_bo_create_from_native_handle() API + vfunc? You almost had it in
your former patch 2/3. A gbm_bo_handle arg would be better IMHO.

Regards,
Gwenole.