[Mesa-dev] [RFC] r600-r800 2D tiling

Jerome Glisse j.glisse at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 14:46:45 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 11:59:28AM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On Don, 2012-01-12 at 14:50 -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:
> >
> > Attached is kernel, libdrm, ddx, mesa/r600g patches to enable 2D tiling
> > on r600 to cayman. I haven't yet done a full regression testing but 2D
> > tiling seems to work ok. I would like to get feedback on 2 things :
> >
> > - the kernel API
> > - using libdrm/radeon as common place for surface allocation
>
> I generally like the idea of centralizing this in libdrm_radeon.
>

> > The second question especialy impact the layering/abstraction of gallium
> > btw winsys as it make libdrm/radeon_surface API a part of the winsys.
>
> That's unfortunate, but then again the Radeon Gallium drivers have never
> been very clean in this regard. I guess the first one to want to use
> them on a non-DRM platform gets to clean that up. :)
>

> > To test you need to set ColorTiling2D to true in your xorg.conf, plan
> > is to get mesa 8.0 and newer with proper support for 2D tiling and
> > in 1 year, to move ColorTiling2D default value from false to true.
> > (assumption is that by then we could assume that someone with a working
> > ddx would also have a supported mesa)
>
> Sounds good.
>
> Note that the Mesa and X driver changes need to either continue building
> and working with older libdrm_radeon, or bump the libdrm_radeon version
> requirement in configure.ac.

Plan is to release updated libdrm before commiting to mesa, at which point
i will try to dust off my configure.ac foo.

I updated patches and are now at :
http://people.freedesktop.org/~glisse/tiling/

For them to work you need the ddx option and for mesa you need to set
R600_TILING=1 & R600_SURF=1. I will remove this once i am confident that
it works accross various GPU without regression.

Cheers,
Jerome