[Mesa-dev] [RFC] r600-r800 2D tiling

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Fri Jan 13 02:59:28 PST 2012

On Don, 2012-01-12 at 14:50 -0500, Jerome Glisse wrote:

> Attached is kernel, libdrm, ddx, mesa/r600g patches to enable 2D tiling
> on r600 to cayman. I haven't yet done a full regression testing but 2D
> tiling seems to work ok. I would like to get feedback on 2 things :
>
> - the kernel API
> - using libdrm/radeon as common place for surface allocation

I generally like the idea of centralizing this in libdrm_radeon.

> The second question especialy impact the layering/abstraction of gallium
> btw winsys as it make libdrm/radeon_surface API a part of the winsys.

That's unfortunate, but then again the Radeon Gallium drivers have never
been very clean in this regard. I guess the first one to want to use
them on a non-DRM platform gets to clean that up. :)

> To test you need to set ColorTiling2D to true in your xorg.conf, plan
> is to get mesa 8.0 and newer with proper support for 2D tiling and
> in 1 year, to move ColorTiling2D default value from false to true.
> (assumption is that by then we could assume that someone with a working
> ddx would also have a supported mesa)

Sounds good.

Note that the Mesa and X driver changes need to either continue building
and working with older libdrm_radeon, or bump the libdrm_radeon version
requirement in configure.ac.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer           |                   http://www.amd.com