[Mesa-dev] GSoC - Introduction and Project Discussion - Find common patterns in real GLSL shaders

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon Apr 15 09:50:00 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 01:07:50PM +0530, Sreyanth wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I am interested to participate in GSoC this year in X.org. I have gone
> through the proposed ideas and I am interested in working on finding common
> patterns in real GLSL shaders.
>
> I understand that this is a datamining problem where we mine patterns in
> the shaders. So, how do I go ahead now?

Hi Sreyanth,

If you are interested in this project, you should start drafting a
proposal.  There are some rough guidelines for what a proposal should
look like here: http://xorg.freedesktop.org/wiki/GSoCApplication and
this should help you with the basic structure.  Writing a good proposal
will probably require you to familiarize yourself more with GLSL and
also the relevant parts of the Mesa code base, so you should start
working on that too.

Ian Romanick (idr on IRC) is listed as a possible mentor for this
project, so it would be a good idea to contact him if you have any
questions or want to bounce around ideas.

Once you have a rough draft of your proposal, you should send it to the
list so that Ian and the other developers can review it and give you
feedback.  The more feedback you can get from developers, the better
your final proposal will be.

Thanks,
Tom