[Mesa-dev] renaming i965g

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Apr 18 08:36:04 PDT 2013

Chia-I Wu <olvaffe at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> Per the discussion, i965g is confusing and misleading.  Instead of
> preventing the confusions via
>
>   --with-gallium-drivers=i965g-unofficial or
>   --with-gallium-drivers=experimental-i965g,
>
> which kind of makes i965g a second-class citizen, I think it is better
> to rename it.  Then whenever one sees i965, be it on mailing list or
> in a commit message, we know it refers to the official driver that
> Intel supports.
>
> Let's say the new name is iFoo.  The gallium driver will be enabled
> via --with-gallium-drivers=iFoo, and the DRI driver will be named
> iFoo_dri.so.  Users will need to rename it to use it, and I hope this
> extra step will avoid the confusions.
>
> I'd like to call it igen, so that I do not need to reflow the code
> after running sed -i 's/i965/igen/g'.  But I am pretty bad at naming.
> If this approach or the name is frowned upon, please let me know.

But what you're building isn't an Intel gen graphics driver, right?
You're just targeting gen7.  Are you planning on extending back to gen2?

I think you should explicitly mark it experimental/unoffficial in the
configure switch.  Otherwise build-it-themselves users see both options,
and having heard about gallium, assume the gallium one is what they
should be using, and then they suffer.