[Mesa-dev] A proposal for new testing requirements for stable releases

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Wed Jul 16 01:40:47 PDT 2014

On 16.07.2014 06:16, Carl Worth wrote:
> Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:
>
> Quite frankly, my real concern with all of this is not that the driver
> maintainers will propose something bad, but that I will inadvertently
> botch something while cherry-picking or merging a conflict, etc. that I
> won't be able to notice in my touch testing.

[...]

> But my proposal was not intended to make that a requirement. You can
> continue to get your commits in with no additional testing on your part,
> by just affirming for each release that you're OK with what the
> stable-branch maintainer has put together.
>
> When I phrase things that way, does it seem more reasonable to you?
>
> And if this feels like a more bureaucratic means for doing nothing
> effectually different than what we did before, please humor me.

It does seem like that to me.

> (Maybe I'm just a wimp, but it's been tough at times to trust myself to
> resolve conflicts in code that I know I don't have any way to test. I do
> ask for help if the conflict looks really messy. But I don't like to
> bother people for things that look trivial. And even the trivial, manual
> conflict resolution can give me misgivings that I might be breaking the
> release.)

I'm fine with you asking the patch author or another developer of the
affected subsystem for a backport if there is any conflict, however trivial.

--
Earthling Michel Dänzer            |                  http://www.amd.com
Libre software enthusiast          |                Mesa and X developer