[Mesa-dev] Doubt about Streamed Vertex Buffer Write message descriptor in SandyBridge

Samuel Iglesias Gonsálvez siglesias at igalia.com
Tue Jul 22 08:25:56 PDT 2014

Hello,

I have a doubt related to Streamed Vertex Buffer Write message and its
message descriptor in SandyBridge.

Reading about Stream Output Primitives Written
(snb_ihd_os_vol2_part1.pdf, pag 175), it says the following:

"Whenever a GS thread outputs a DataPort Streamed Vertex Buffer Write
(SVBWrite) message with the Increment Num Prims Written bit set, the
SO_NUM_PRIMS_WRITTEN register will be incremented."

According to SNB's spec [0], all the bits in the SVBWrite message
descriptor are ignored and I have not found the definition of this bit
in the documentation. Maybe I'm running the wrong pdfgrep command :-/

After doing some Google searches, I found that in other doc [1] it's
mentioned the "Increment Num Prims Written" bit inside the SVBWrite
message descriptor is not ignored for SNB (at least, it doesn't say that
explicitly).

Do you know where is the "Increment Num Prims Written" bit defined in
SNB's doc?

Thanks,

Sam

[0] snb_ihd_os_vol4_part1.pdf, "3.9.11 Streamed Vertex Buffer Write
[DevSNB]", page 260.
[1] http://www.x.org/docs/intel/HD/IHD_OS_Vol_4_Part1_BJS.pdf "5.10.10
Streamed Vertex Buffer Write [Pre-DevIVB]", page 247.