[Mesa-dev] Question on OpenCL Image Support for r600g/radeonsi

Tom Stellard tom at stellard.net
Mon Mar 10 13:04:52 PDT 2014

On Sun, Mar 09, 2014 at 12:28:01AM +0530, ANUJ SHARMA wrote:
> Hello Sir ,
>   I am Anuj Sharma from India. I am pursuing my M.Tech Degree at Indian
> Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India.
> Sir Where Can i get the more detail on what should we need to implement for
> the "OpenCL Image Support".

Hi Anuj,

Are you interested in doing this for Google Summer of Code?  Do you know which
driver you would like to work on r600g or radeonsi?

This task can be broken down into 4 parts:

- Write piglit[1] tests cases for OpenCL C image builtins and OpenCL image API calls
- Implement image builtins in libclc[2]
- Implement the gallium[3] callbacks (set_compute_resources, create_sampler_view,
   possibly others)  necessary for reading and writing images.
- Make any changes necessary to the R600 LLVM backend[4] to support images.

If you would like to do this project as part of Google Summer of Code, you will need to
spend a little bit of time looking into the things I mentioned above and write a
proposal[5].  It is a good idea to send drafts of your proposal to the mailing list,
so mesa developers can help you improve it before you submit it to Google.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

-Tom

[1] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/piglit
[2] http://libclc.llvm.org/
[3] http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/src/gallium/include/pipe/p_context.h