[Mesa-dev] Removing unused opcodes (TGSI, Mesa IR)

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Thu Nov 13 05:06:18 PST 2014

Thanks for doing this.  It's has been long overdue.

Unfortunately we are relying on TGSI_OPCODE_CND/TGSI_OPCODE_ARR internally.  I'm also interested in cutting down used opcodes, so I'll try to replace their usage with something else.  But until then please hold on to those two patches.

The rest looks good AFAICT.

Concerning subroutines, we rely on BGNSUB/ENDSUB/CAL extensively.  They are quite convenient when translating D3D 9/10 shaders, which also have them.  And if one day we need to support recursive subroutines (CUDA 4.0 appears to have them; not sure about OpenCL, but I suppose it's only a matter of time), then they'll be unavoidable, as in-lining subroutines won't work anymore.

Jose