[Mesa-dev] How difficult would it be to have debugging information for Jitted code show up?

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:48:23 PST 2014

Hi Steven,

On 14 November 2014 01:40, Steven Stewart-Gallus
<sstewartgallus00 at mylangara.bc.ca> wrote:
> But my distribution does build Mesa with debugging symbols. I have the package
> libgl1-mesa-dri-dbg installed which gives me debugging symbols such as
> drm_intel_bo_wait_rendering and drm_intel_bo_subdata. I assume I don't have is
> debugging information for JITted code although maybe the problem is a bug in
> perf (they've had problems with artificial intrinsics before.) Please assume I
> have at least the small quantity of intelligence needed to have installed the
> debugging symbols for the library I a. But tell me, what do you see when you
> profile glxgears with perf?

Let me put things a bit differently: the classic drivers (be that i965
or any other) do _not_ use LLVM. So when you say that there are no
debug symbols for the JITted code. that does not make sense for
most(all?) people thus they assume the closest thing. Which is that
you're missing the debug symbols, therefore giving you instructions on
how to get them(rebuild mesa).

So can you please tell us what makes you think that using the i965
driver, goes into LLVM/JITted code ?
Perhaps having some sort of backtrace (I know the some functions names
will be ??) or a testcase might bring some light :)

Cheers,
-Emil