[Mesa-dev] [RFC] i965: alternative to memctx for cleaning up nir variants

Connor Abbott cwabbott0 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 10:58:21 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Connor Abbott <cwabbott0 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> When it comes to shader variants, I have a mix, with some things
>>> lowered in nir and others just handled in backend..
>>>
>>> The re-work / cleanup that I have had on a branch for a while now
>>> (since it is currently blocked on refcnt'ing) does a first round of
>>> variant-key independent NIR lowering/opt passes.  And then at draw
>>> time, if the variant key has anything that is lowered in nir, I do a
>>> second round.

>>> Well, due to the structure I mentioned above, at draw time when I need
>>> to generate a variant with nothing lowered in NIR, I simply incr the
>>> refcnt on the IR which has already gone through first round of NIR
>>> passes, and pass that in to my back end compiler.  At the end, once
>>> the shader binary is generated, I can unconditionally unref the
>>> nir_shader without having to care.
>>>
>>> Without refcnt'ing I'd either have to generate a pointless clone or
>>> keep track that the nir_shader should not actually be free'd.  Not
>>> impossible, just a bit more ugly.
>>
>> Assuming you do all your variant management in your driver's IR, then
>> you don't need to do anything. If you do some variant management in
>> NIR, then in the function where you do the NIR-based lowering you can
>> check if you need to do any lowering based on the shader key, clone
>> first, and give the NIR->ir3 function the cloned IR and then free it.
>> It might be a "bit more ugly," but it's really not that much different
>> from the refcounting, and when the extra shader gets created/freed is
>> made explicit.
>
> I'd have to re-arrange things some compared to how the backend works
> now..  not impossible, but annoying.  Also, I could more easily unref
> the NIR once I've converted into ir3 rather than waiting until after
> the backend passes.

That's just a matter of how you structure things... if you do the
NIR-based lowering in the same function as converting to ir3, which
seems like a good idea anyways, then it should be possible to unref
before you run your backend passes. But I doubt the difference matters
anyways. Our experience with i965 is that holding a lot of shaders at
once can eat into memory, but memory consumption while actually doing
work hardly matters (I guess it could if it's totally out of control,
but that's not here...).

>>> (The gallium glsl_to_nir stuff is also currently using refcnt'ing,
>>> although at least for freedreno/ir3 it isn't strictly needed.. I could
>>> just unconditionally clone in the state tracker.  That said, I'm still
>>> of the opinion that refcnt'ing could be useful to some other driver
>>> someday)
>>
>> "It could be useful to some driver someday" isn't a good argument for
>> adding stuff today. We've already had enough examples of things in NIR
>> that we added because we thought it was useful, but turned out not to
>> be.
>
> well, it is useful to one driver today, as I explained..  so it is
> more a matter of "It could be also useful to some other driver...".
> Otherwise I would agree with you.

But even for you, this is still overkill. Reference counting is most
useful when there are potentially many different owners of a resource,
which isn't the case here. If we add reference counting now, we'd be
adding an essentially useless feature, and the fact that you used it
doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary.