[Mesa-dev] [RFC] i965: alternative to memctx for cleaning up nir variants

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 12:31:50 PST 2015

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:58 PM, Connor Abbott <cwabbott0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 1:35 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Assuming you do all your variant management in your driver's IR, then
>>> you don't need to do anything. If you do some variant management in
>>> NIR, then in the function where you do the NIR-based lowering you can
>>> check if you need to do any lowering based on the shader key, clone
>>> first, and give the NIR->ir3 function the cloned IR and then free it.
>>> It might be a "bit more ugly," but it's really not that much different
>>> from the refcounting, and when the extra shader gets created/freed is
>>> made explicit.
>>
>> I'd have to re-arrange things some compared to how the backend works
>> now..  not impossible, but annoying.  Also, I could more easily unref
>> the NIR once I've converted into ir3 rather than waiting until after
>> the backend passes.
>
> That's just a matter of how you structure things... if you do the
> NIR-based lowering in the same function as converting to ir3, which
> seems like a good idea anyways, then it should be possible to unref
> before you run your backend passes. But I doubt the difference matters
> anyways. Our experience with i965 is that holding a lot of shaders at
> once can eat into memory, but memory consumption while actually doing
> work hardly matters (I guess it could if it's totally out of control,
> but that's not here...).

well, at a minimum, not having refcnt'ing is constraining the way the
code is structured..

>>> "It could be useful to some driver someday" isn't a good argument for
>>> adding stuff today. We've already had enough examples of things in NIR
>>> that we added because we thought it was useful, but turned out not to
>>> be.
>>
>> well, it is useful to one driver today, as I explained..  so it is
>> more a matter of "It could be also useful to some other driver...".
>> Otherwise I would agree with you.
>
> But even for you, this is still overkill. Reference counting is most
> useful when there are potentially many different owners of a resource,
> which isn't the case here. If we add reference counting now, we'd be
> adding an essentially useless feature, and the fact that you used it
> doesn't change the fact that it's unnecessary.

well, I guess it depends on how you define "owners".. I mean, just
because something is one driver, doesn't mean things can't be
structured/modularized to separate concerns.  Reference counting gives
some nice flexibility to avoid copies for expensive data structures
and lets you deal w/ (sub)modules owning references rather than the
entire data structure.

Not having reference counting constrains the way the code is
structured, and (still, IMHO) for no particularly good reason.

BR,
-R