[Mesa-dev] RFC: Prune stale components

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 07:49:53 PST 2015

On Fri, Feb 27, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Jose Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> As we're gaining momentum cleanup Mesa code, I think it would help if we
> also removed some stale components.
>
> What do people feel about removing:
>
> - src/mesa/drivers/windows/gdi -- the old SW rasterizer for Windows -- I
> haven't used in a very long time, and given that the old SW rasterizer is so
> far behind compared gallium based softpipe/llvmpipe rasterizers, it's hard
> to imagine this will ever be useful again
>
> - src/gallium/drivers/rbug: -- do people use it? does it work?  it predates
> apitrace GL + GUI, which sort of enables a lot of the same things, but
> without the issue of having to hit moving target, which is what gallium
> interfaces are

I used it to debug Unigine Sanctuary last year and it helped me track
down a driver bug. It works pretty well.

It has some cool features like being able to watch textures and
renderbuffers as they change in real time.

I guess whoever wants to use it should expect that some functions may
not be implemented.

Marek