[Mesa-dev] GL/GLSL tests for GL 4.0 and newer

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Wed Mar 11 15:25:04 PDT 2015

On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 6:17 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12 March 2015 at 08:07, Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> wrote:
>> On 03/09/2015 12:18 AM, Ishara Abeysekera wrote:
>>> /I am interested on write tests for OpenGL 4.0 /GLSL 4.00 .
>>> /
>>> /But can you be more specify what areas you are expecting to be tested,
>>
>> I haven't examined the API side very closely, but I know of a few things
>> in the shading language that need tests.  For most of the things, there
>> is absolutely no support in Mesa yet.
>>
>> We have no tests for GL_ARB_shader_subroutine.
>>
>> It would also be good to have tests to verify that features from other
>> extensions (e.g., GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 and GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64) are
>> enabled in #version 400 shaders.  The should be simple "touch" tests
>> since we already have good tests for the extensions.  For example, you
>> might add a glslparsertest test that tries every possible overload of
>> uaddCarry.
>>
>> I don't think we have any tests for GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit.  It's a
>> GL 4.1 feature, but it will probably get done before the other missing
>> 4.0 features.
>
> there are some initial ones I posted and in my piglit tree somewhere,
> but there is definitely a need for more and validated against the
> binary drivers.
>
> also thing like internal_format_query2 need a truck of tests,
> and probably enhanced_layouts.

Other fun extensions that will need a ton of tests:

ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object
ARB_compute_shader (which is somewhat in progress AFAIK, but very
limited test coverage atm)

And smaller extensions... would probably have to do a bunch of them up
to make a single GSoC:

ARB_get_texture_sub_image
ARB_query_buffer_object
ARB_texture_stencil8
ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments

You can look at
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/tree/docs/GL3.txt to see which
core extensions mesa supports. It's most common that there are tests
for supported extensions and no tests for unsupported extensions (but
check the piglit repo before assuming that... e.g. there are a lot of
ARB_shader_image_load_store tests even though it's not presently
supported by any driver).

  -ilia