[Mesa-dev] Regarding X.Org Endless Vacation of Code

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Mon May 11 19:00:50 PDT 2015

Hi Anish,

On 11 May 2015 at 20:47, Anish Kanchan <anishgkanchan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I looked through the project ideas at
> http://www.x.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas/ which seemed doable to me. I
> would like to know more about the following projects -
>
> 1. Add support for performances counters in the profiling view

I believe that there is a student working on this project as part of GSoC
2015. Personally I think that going for another project will be better,
although others might feel otherwise.

> 2. GL/GLSL tests for GL 4.0 and newer
>
> This topic has come across multiple times. The task entails that you pick
up an GL extension (or a few) that are used by GL 4.0+, read through the
spec test and write small piglit programs [1] which test the applicable
functionality. One is expected to confirm their tests against another
GL/GLSL implementation - i.e. run the programs on a GL 4.0+ capable
hardware using the Nvida/AMD binary drivers.

Note that there is a bit of a hurdle here on the patch review front. So you
would be expected interact with the community and find a person interested
in mentoring/reviewing your work.

> I have worked on projects using C and OpenGL as a part of coursework in
> college. Hence I feel I'll be able to work on these projects if I put
> enough time in it.
>
> I am also proficient in Java, Php, Javascript, HTML5 and CSS3 so if there
> are any projects using these, I would love to look into them as well.
>
> I plan to work on a project through EVoC during June and July if my
> application gets accepted. So till then I would like to spend one month in
> understanding the project, solving bugs and preparing a good application.
>
> According to the EVoC page [2] the student is expected to put three to
four months of work. Regardless I would encourage that you try and get a
better feel about the projects listed [3] and observe the direction of the
current X development. Chilling out in #dri-devel (at FreeNode) and
skimming through the dri-devel and mesa-dev mailing lists will help you
out. Once you have a better feel on the projects (or idea for another one)
just follow the guidelines [4] and submit a proposal.

I believe this information is enough to get you in the right direction.

Cheers,
Emil

[1] http://piglit.freedesktop.org/
[2] http://www.x.org/wiki/XorgEVoC/