[Mesa-dev] Mesa 10.6 release plan

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Sun May 17 14:44:02 PDT 2015

On Sunday, May 17, 2015 09:34:30 AM Emil Velikov wrote:
> On 16/05/15 17:11, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> > There was some discussion on IRC today about what the official date
> > is.  A bunch of Intel people have been working under the assumption
> > that it's the end of next week, not this week.
> What would be the best way to minimise such confusion - more often email
> reminders, changing the #dri-devel channel topic, other ?

Channel topic sounds like a great plan.

> > Was there some
> > non-public discussion and a decision to slip?
> >
> None that I know of. fredrikh was curious about DSA (see other threads
> for details), similarly curro was keen on ARB_shader_image_load_store.
> The former got in, while the latter will be coming after the branch point.
>
> > We would like to get two things in before the branch point:
> >  1) The MUL series Matt just sent
> >  2) Use NIR by default for GEN8+ VS.
> >
> > If we don't want to slip too far we can probably get both in by Monday.
> I'm fine with that, although I would like to hear at least one other
> developer that is for (or against) this.
>
> Cheers,
> Emil

+1.

Our plan is to use NIR by default wherever possible in 10.6, but have
the INTEL_USE_NIR=0 flag for people to try if they encounter problems.
Then, after the branch point (or release?) delete the old code.  But
we can't do that unless we actually ship it by default :)

As I understand it, Matt's patches make the GLSL IR -> NIR switch for VS
a lot more positive of a switch - plus they should be an improvement for
Gen7+ in general - so I'd definitely like to see them make it.

I think they're all reviewed at this point, so we probably just need to
push them.

Thanks, Emil!

--Ken