[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): 57 new commits

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Mon May 18 17:33:53 PDT 2015

On 05/15/2015 04:05 PM, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> On Friday 15 May 2015, Ian Romanick wrote:
>> On 05/15/2015 12:10 PM, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
>>> On Friday 15 May 2015, Ian Romanick wrote:
>>>> On 05/15/2015 05:26 AM, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
>>>> I'm also going to say that I'm quite pissed that this series landed
>>>> without my objections being addressed.  I've half a mind to revert the
>>>> whole lot!
>>> I posted an email Monday morning US time asking for feedback on this.
>>> That was five days ago today.  Where is your reply to that email?
>>> Laura's framebuffer patches have been sitting on the mailing list for ten
>>> weeks now without anyone reviewing them but me.
>>> I poked several people on IRC (yourself included), pointed to that email,
>>> explained the situation and asked what I should do.  The only person who
>>> would give me a straight answer was Ilia, who said that he preferred not
>>> enabling the extension in the core profile if it meant that some piglit
>>> tests would skip until they've been ported.
>>> I'm quite dissapointed that people wait until after the patches have
>>> landed before they speak their mind.
>> To quote from my reply to your patch 44:
>>    "Add this to the list of arguments for making this extension
>>    exclusive to core profile... which I have been saying since
>>    before a single line of DSA code was written."
>> I have been speaking my mind on this topic since Dylan Noblesmith worked
>> on it for GSoC *TWO YEARS AGO*.
>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-September/044940.html
>> This is not a new objection, nor has it been a quiet objection.
> I am aware of your preference for only enabling the extension in the
> core profile, but that wasn't the question here.  The question was, what
> do we do given that some of the piglit tests currently won't work with
> the core profile, and there isn't enough time to rewrite them before
> the freeze?

I've already fixed all but one of the tests.  It took a day.

> Do we enable the extension in the core profile anyway, and have those
> tests skip until they've been rewritten?  Or do we enable it in both
> profiles for now to keep the tests working?  Or do we skip this release
> and enable it in 10.7/11.0 instead?  This is the question I wasn't able
> to get a straight answer to.
> It's not too late to make the extension core only in 10.6, since we
> have four more weeks to work on the tests.  What I don't want to do is
> make developers wait three more months for Mesa to support this
> extension when the implementation is done.
> Fredrik

More information about the mesa-dev mailing list