[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): 57 new commits

Fredrik Höglund fredrik at kde.org
Fri May 15 16:05:31 PDT 2015

On Friday 15 May 2015, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 05/15/2015 12:10 PM, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> > On Friday 15 May 2015, Ian Romanick wrote:
> >> On 05/15/2015 05:26 AM, Fredrik Höglund wrote:
> >> I'm also going to say that I'm quite pissed that this series landed
> >> without my objections being addressed.  I've half a mind to revert the
> >> whole lot!
> > 
> > I posted an email Monday morning US time asking for feedback on this.
> > That was five days ago today.  Where is your reply to that email?
> > Laura's framebuffer patches have been sitting on the mailing list for ten
> > weeks now without anyone reviewing them but me.
> > 
> > I poked several people on IRC (yourself included), pointed to that email,
> > explained the situation and asked what I should do.  The only person who
> > would give me a straight answer was Ilia, who said that he preferred not
> > enabling the extension in the core profile if it meant that some piglit
> > tests would skip until they've been ported.
> > 
> > I'm quite dissapointed that people wait until after the patches have
> > landed before they speak their mind.
> To quote from my reply to your patch 44:
>    "Add this to the list of arguments for making this extension
>    exclusive to core profile... which I have been saying since
>    before a single line of DSA code was written."
> I have been speaking my mind on this topic since Dylan Noblesmith worked
> on it for GSoC *TWO YEARS AGO*.
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-September/044940.html
> This is not a new objection, nor has it been a quiet objection.

I am aware of your preference for only enabling the extension in the
core profile, but that wasn't the question here.  The question was, what
do we do given that some of the piglit tests currently won't work with
the core profile, and there isn't enough time to rewrite them before
the freeze?

Do we enable the extension in the core profile anyway, and have those
tests skip until they've been rewritten?  Or do we enable it in both
profiles for now to keep the tests working?  Or do we skip this release
and enable it in 10.7/11.0 instead?  This is the question I wasn't able
to get a straight answer to.

It's not too late to make the extension core only in 10.6, since we
have four more weeks to work on the tests.  What I don't want to do is
make developers wait three more months for Mesa to support this
extension when the implementation is done.


More information about the mesa-dev mailing list