[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Vendor-neutral dispatch library for OpenGL

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 06:34:14 PDT 2015

Hello Kyle,

A few questions/points of discussion:

 * What is your take on having a libglvnd 'package', which provides
the headers (and maybe other materials), apart from the libraries ?
I'm basically thinking about OpenGL.h, GLX.h, etc for programs that
wish to use new ABI, and glvnd{Foo,Bar}.h which mesa and other GL
implementations.

 * (Slightly out of scope here) Has there been any plans to have an
interop between vendors' GL implementations ? I am leaning towards
'nearly impossible' and 'with limited to no interest from the
different vendors'.

 * There was an idea to expose separate libOpenGL libraries, one for
each (major?) GL version.
What happened on that front ?

 * The existing x11glvnd extension seems to be a "xserver only" approach.
Iirc at XDC last year, people were leaning towards using an FD to
obtain all the information needed. Currently mesa/xserver uses that to
detect if we should load i915, i965, r300, r600... driver. What's your
take on this ?

 * The POC code at github looks quite good and consistent.
Here are a few bits, in case you're interested.
- We're building either libGLX_mesa or libGL, but never both.
- Lovely interactions with --with-gl-lib-name. Perhaps we should
remove the latter.
- Insanely long lines and other coding style nitpicks.
- 'Export what you need'

Cheers,
Emil