[Mesa-dev] Introducing OpenSWR: High performance software rasterizer

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Tue Oct 20 12:03:43 PDT 2015

Am 20.10.2015 um 19:11 schrieb Rowley, Timothy O:
> [...]
> ----------------------------------
>
>  * All code is under the normal Mesa MIT license.
>
> How will contributions be handled?
> ----------------------------------
>
> This is our current thinking about how this will be handled.  We
> welcome input from those who might have more experience with handling
> this type of contribution.
>
>  * The OpenSWR project consists of two codebases, the swr core and the
>    driver.  The swr core is a copy of an internal code repository, so
>    we (the Intel team) will deal with the headache of moving changes
>    back and forth.  While not ideal, it's the cost of sharing this
>    code.
>
>  * Non-intel changes to swr core (src/gallium/drivers/swr/rasterizer)
>    will go through mesa-dev review.  Intel team will merge changes
>    from our internal repository without the review process.
>
>  * The swr driver master repository will be the one in Mesa3D.  All
>    changes will go through mesa-dev review, save for those needed for
>    swr core updates.
>
> Will this work on AMD?
> ----------------------
>
>  * If using an AMD processor with AVX or AVX2, it should work though
>    we don't have that hardware around to test.  Patches if needed
>    would be welcome.
>
> Will this work on ARM, MIPS, POWER, <other non-x86 architecture>?
>
>  * Not without a lot of work.  We make extensive use of AVX and AVX2
>    intrinsics in our code and the in-tree JIT creation.  It is not the
>    intention for this codebase to support non-x86 architectures.
>
> What hardware do I need?
> ------------------------
>
>  * Any x86 processor with at least AVX (introduced in the Intel
>    SandyBridge and AMD Bulldozer microarchitectures in 2011) will
>    work.
>
>  * You don't need a fire-breathing Xeon machine to work on SWR - we do
>    day-to-day development with laptops and desktop CPUs.
>
> Does one build work on both AVX and AVX2?
>
>  * Unfortunately, no.  The architecture support is fixed at compile
>    time.  While the AVX version of course will run on AVX2 machines
>    and the jitted code will use AVX2, the overall performance will
>    suffer relative to a full AVX2 build.
>
>  * There is some idea that if we move some code from the driver back
>    to SWR core, we could build two versions of libSWR and dynamically
>    load the correct version at runtime.  Unfortunately this mechanism
>    would not work with AVX512, as some of the SWR state structures
>    would change size.
>
> Is the code ready to go?
> ------------------------
>
>  * Yes, a version for review feedback is located at:
>
>      https://github.com/OpenSWR/openswr-mesa
>
>  * This requires llvm-3.6.  To build with configure, enable the swr
>    driver and also pass in --enable-swr-native.  SCons will
>    automatically build swr.
>
>  * This version is based on Mesa 11.0, and the thought is to keep to
>    that version while we incorporate community feedback prior up

Certainly looks interesting...
>From a high level point of view, seems quite similar to llvmpipe (both
tile based, using llvm for jitting shaders, ...). Of course llvmpipe
isn't well suited for these kind of workloads (the most important use
case is desktop compositing, so a couple dozen vertices per frame but
millions of pixels...). Making vertex loads scale is something which
just wasn't worth the effort so far (there's not actually that many
people working on llvmpipe), albeit we realize that the completely
non-parallel nature of it currently actually can hinder scaling quite a
bit even for "typical" workloads (not desktop compositing, but "simple"
3d apps) once you've got enough cores/threads (8 or so), but that's
something we're not worried too much about.
I think requiring llvm 3.6 probably isn't going to work if you want to
upstream this, a minimum version of 3.6 is fine but the general rule is
things should still work with newer versions (including current
development version, seems like you're using c++ interface of llvm quite
a bit so that's probably going to require some #ifdef mess). Albeit I
guess if you just don't try to build the driver with non-released
versions that's probably ok (but will limit the ability for some people
to try out your driver).

Roland