[Mesa-dev] Adaptive Vsync

Lauri Kasanen cand at gmx.com
Sat Sep 5 09:09:32 PDT 2015

On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 15:41:00 +0200
Benjamin Bellec <b.bellec at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Lauri,
>
> I saw that your patch implementing adaptive vsync is not committed to mesa.
> Ref,
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2013-December/050184.html
>
> Why not ? Is there any issue with it ? As a end user, adaptive vsync seems
> a nice feature. But maybe I'm not aware of drawbacks.

Hi,

There was one drawback, it was worse for one-frame hickups:
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2014-February/053888.html

That alone wouldn't prevent using it IMHO, as the
heavier-scenes-that-last-for-minutes is a valid use case. I just got
tired of trying to push it, when it took nearly three months to get a
review.

Nowadays I prefer to contribute to projects where patches don't go
unnoticed for months at a time.

- Lauri