[Mesa-dev] Newbie task to get started

Jakob Sinclair sinclair.jakob at openmailbox.org
Mon Apr 11 09:54:56 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-11 09:14, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> Jakob,
> Thanks for your interest and welcome to the mailing list!

Thanks!

> Yes, the NewbieProjects page, as with much of the mesa documentation,
> is a bit
> dated.  Before I can really tell you where to start, it would be good
> to have a bit of background:
>
>  1) What graphics hardware do you have access to?  That will influence
> what you can work on. :-)

I currently have an R9 280x and is right now running the radeon +
radeonsi driver. I also have an i5-3570K which makes me able to also
work on the Intel driver.

>  2) What kind of graphics experience do you have?  Have you ever
> written a program that uses OpenGL?

I have quite a lot of experience working with OpenGL. I have mostly used
OpenGL for game engines that I have worked on.

>  3) Do you have any compiler experience?  If not, that's ok, but be
> warned that you might be getting some. ;-)

I don't have experience working on any compiler but it would be really
interesting to work on a compiler.

>  4) Is there a particular area you like to work on?  If you have
> something in particular that might help guide what you do.  If you
> don't have any particular area, that's just fine.

There is no area in particular that I'm more interested in than others.
But normally I really like working on optimizations and making it more
efficient. I don't though have a great deal of experience optimizing
code.

> The only real firm requirement to work on mesa is a decent working
> knowledge of C.  Beyond that, there are a number of different projects
> that one could work on that require varying levels of skill and/or
> experience.  These include writing tests, adding compiler
> optimizations, or even hooking up simple extensions.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it.

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM, Jakob Sinclair
> <sinclair.jakob at openmailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi! My name is Jakob Sinclair and I would like to start contributing
>> to mesa development. I was wondering if anyone has any easy tasks
>> that I as a newbie could start working on. I tried looking at
>> https://wiki.freedesktop.org/dri/NewbieProjects/ [1] but it seems
>> that page is outdated and most of the tasks over there have already
>> been done. Thanks in advance for your help!
>>
>> --
>> Jakob Sinclair
>

> Links:
> ------