[Mesa-dev] Newbie task to get started

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Mon Apr 11 16:06:53 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 8:25 AM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 11:18 AM, Jakob Sinclair
> <sinclair.jakob at openmailbox.org> wrote:
> > On 2016-04-11 14:07, Marek Olšák wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Jakob,
> >>
> >> Getting familiar with the code should be the first priority. I suggest
> >> you start with a simple feature like adding an easy GL or GL ES
> >> extension into your favourite driver.

Agreed.  One easy extension for i965 that I've been trying to pawn off on
someone for a while is ARB_shader_atomic_counter_ops:

https://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/ARB/shader_atomic_counter_ops.txt

Ilia already got it plumbed through the core GLSL compiler and into
gallium.  Getting it hooked up in i965 should be mostly just plumbing
work.  It would provide a good compiler intro.

> >> You should also use a test suite for testing driver correctness. The
> >> main one everybody should use is called "piglit". Some people also use
> >> dEQP.

Writing tests can also be a decent place to start.  There are many places
where piglit testing can be improved.  That said, it helps if you have a
particular bug or some new piece of functionality to test.

> >> Marek
> >

> > Thanks for the tips! I have been looking at the
> ARB_shader_image_load_store
> > and ARB_shader_image size extensions for GL ES 3.1 and noticed that the
> > radeonsi drivers does not support them even though the driver supports
> the
> > extensions in the core profile. From what I can tell all supported
> functions
> > are already in the driver. What needs to be added to the driver to gain
> > support for the extensions in a GL ES 3.1 context?
>
> Nothing. They aren't extensions in GL ES 3.1, but rather core
> features. Have you tested them and found that something was
> unsupported through GL ES 3.1 entrypoints?

Another pretty easy task is to find GL ES extensions where the desktop
variant is already implemented.  Then 95% of the code is there, you just
have to see what (if anything) is different with the ES variant and wire it
up.  If you're going to do that, might be good to coordinate with Ilia.
He's been knocking them out like crazy lately.

--Jason