[Mesa-dev] Newbie task to get started

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon Apr 11 16:16:47 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> Another pretty easy task is to find GL ES extensions where the desktop
> variant is already implemented.  Then 95% of the code is there, you just
> have to see what (if anything) is different with the ES variant and wire it
> up.  If you're going to do that, might be good to coordinate with Ilia.
> He's been knocking them out like crazy lately.

That streak is mostly over... I did the easy ones :) The only other
"easy" one left is GL_OES_texture_view (and its EXT companion), but
there are no dEQP tests for it. If one were to not be lazy, then one
would modify the existing piglit tests to work with GL ES as well, and
test the impl that way.

The rest of the stuff required for AEP and GLES 3.2 is trickier -
geometry/tess depend on GL_OES_shader_io_blocks, which in turn depends
on making the input/output interface validation logic work for SSO
programs. [Right now it just crashes on gallium since we release the
IR, but even if we don't, it's till piles-o-fail.] I've been giving
advanced blend some thought, but it's not trivially simple, and then
there's the primitive bounding box thing which depends on tess, and
cube arrays which depend on gs. And that's it.

Maybe fixing GL_EXT/OES_shader_io_blocks *would* be a good newbie
project, esp for someone already familiar with GL. There are dEQP
tests for it, which is nice, and this is a start on the mesa bits:
https://github.com/imirkin/mesa/commit/9b0ea7da1bf0850dbb4bfdfe36bb9b1c354690ae

If you do go for it, make sure to consult with people about how to
solve the issues once you identify them, since everyone will have
(opposing) opinions on it. [Esp the whole reliance on the ir being
around after linking -- that needs to go.]

  -ilia