[Mesa-dev] Possible memory leak with `glxMakeCurrent`?

Michel Dänzer michel at daenzer.net
Thu Aug 18 03:08:44 UTC 2016

On 18/08/16 05:39 AM, Itai wrote:
> (Posted initially in mesa-users, but got no reply - the list seems dead.
> Couldn't find any bug report, and sadly not well versed enough in mesa
> to file one myself).

FWIW, there's no need to be versed in Mesa to file a bug report. :)

> Following an investigation of a memory leak with JavaFX on some Linux
> configuration, it looks like there is a possible memory leak when using
> `glxMakeCurrent`.
> Sadly, I myself don't know enough about OpenGL/Mesa to describe it
> fully, but I'm hoping someone here can understand it well enough to make
> a proper bug report.
>
> Here is a link to the discussion on the openjfx-dex list:
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2016-August/019577.html
>
> Here is a forum post describing a non-Java way to reproduce this same
> issue:
> http://www.gamedev.net/topic/679705-glxmakecurrent-slowly-leaks-memory/
>

> This was possibly not an issue in older versions of Mesa, as the bug
> does not appear on older Linux installations (I'm using Mesa 11.2.2,
> where the bug is present)

Does it still happen with current Git master? There have been some fixes
in this area recently.

If it still happens, the output of running an affected application in
valgrind --leak-check=full (with debugging symbols available for at
least all Mesa binaries) would be useful.