[Mesa-dev] ipers performance regression (Was: u_upload_mgr changes)

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Jan 4 04:25:11 PST 2016

On 21/12/15 22:35, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This patch series adds more flexibility to u_upload_mgr. First, it adds the ability to specify the alignment per suballocation. The idea is that several users can use the same upload buffer, but each may need a different alignment. Finally, it allows specifying PIPE_USAGE, which usually affects memory placement.
>
> Please review.
>
> Marek

Hi Marek,

This patch series, or the commit

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=36c93a6fae275614b6004ec5ab085774d527e1bc

which was pushed around the same time, caused ipers framerate to drop on
llvmpipe from 12.8 to 6.8 FPS as seen in attached screenshot.

llvmpipe tends to be more more rasterization bound than most hw drivers,
which makes this even stranger.

I think there is a bug here somewhere -- maybe these changes are causing
more flushes than before.

Jose