[Mesa-dev] NIR, SCons, and Gallium

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Mon Jan 11 06:21:03 PST 2016

FWIW, I updated SCons to build NIR, both with GCC and MSVC:

   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/~jrfonseca/mesa/log/?h=scons-nir

It was actually simpler than I anticipated.

But I hit a wall -- there's actually no way to get NIR used with
softpipe/llvmpipe, not even as an intermediate IR somewhere between GLSL
IR and TGSI, is there?

Without this I can't actually test it.  And I'm afraid the scons
integration will rot again unless it is used.

I know other gallium drivers already use NIR, but IIUC, they use NIR
internally, ie., TGSI -> NIR-> HW.

So what is exactly the long term plan for NIR in Mesa general, and
Gallium in particular?
- replace GLSL IR completely?
- use NIR as intermediate IR betweem GLSL IR and TGSI, and run
optimizations in there?
- use NIR instead of TGSI at the gallium interface?
- be only used internally by drivers?
- something else?

Jose