[Mesa-dev] NIR, SCons, and Gallium

Ian Romanick idr at freedesktop.org
Mon Jan 11 16:16:20 PST 2016

On 01/11/2016 04:11 PM, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 01/11/2016 06:21 AM, Jose Fonseca wrote:
>> So what is exactly the long term plan for NIR in Mesa general, and
>> Gallium in particular?
>> - replace GLSL IR completely?
>
> Not likely.  GLSL IR has a lot of GLSL-specific semantics that aren't
> really appropriate for an IR at NIR's level.

I should amend this a little.  It's unlikely that GLSL IR will go away
completely.  However, a bunch of the effort occurring to enable SPIR-V
with NIR should pave the way to perform much of the linking process
directly in NIR.  Once that happens it is possible that GLSL IR could
exist only in the front-end.  Nothing outside the GLSL compiler itself
would necessarily have to process it.  I think quite a bit of work has
to occur for that to happen.