[Mesa-dev] [android-x86-devel] Re: need-help: how to change to newest mesa in android-x86?

Rob Herring robherring2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 14:18:04 PST 2016

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:

>> well, nothing specific, but for example early on we had some confusion
>> in drm_gralloc (when adding dmabuf fd support) about who close()d the
>> fd's.  Resulting in same fd getting closed twice (although some
>> completely unrelated file handle might have snuck into that slot
>> between the two close()s).
>>
>> Or you could end up w/ the same sort of thing for gem handles (which
>> are unique to the drm device fd, so if you open() the device multiple
>> times..).  I did initially have some confusion about this, w/ multiple
>> fd_bo's (or pipe_resource's) being created for a given gem handle, and
>> first one that gets deleted takes away the backing store that both
>> userspace references where using.
>>
>> You might want to look at freedreno_drm_winsys.c and the crazy things
>> it does..  I suspect virgl might need similar hacks.  That is really
>> one part of two, that ensures that we share the same pipe_screen, and
>> therefore (from libdrm) fd_device, for a given drm device fd.  The
>> other part is that fd_device has hashtables to deal w/ double import
>> of gem buffers.
>
> I think Rob Clark might be on the right track here.
>
> it sounds like the host is sending double deletes for some objects, which
> sounds like a possible reference counting bug in the host.
>
> So possibly something drm_gralloc, but it could be a bug in mesa, though
> I haven't triggered anything like this yet.

Some more details. If I comment out the freeing of imported buffers in
gralloc_drm_handle_unregister, things work a lot better. I think there
is a missing reference taken on an alloc with an existing dmabuf FD.
I've been comparing freedreno vs. pipe alloc/free implementations for
gralloc. The freedreno alloc function will call drmPrimeFDToHandle and
increment the BO ref count (in lookup_bo). The equivalent for virgl is
in virgl_drm_winsys_resource_create_handle. It calls
drmPrimeFDToHandle, but there is no reference taken. The shared handle
case in that function does take a reference with a
virgl_drm_resource_reference call. I may be off as my attempted fix
doesn't work...

Rob