[Mesa-dev] [RFCv2 00/13] gallium: add support for NIR as alternate IR

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 14:24:58 PST 2016

fyi, I'm getting rather close to having a v3 of this patchset ready to
send.  Since the last version, I've implemented NIR versions of
tgsi_emulate, and bitmap/drawpix lowering, moved a bunch of stuff out
of st_glsl_to_tgsi, etc.  Still a few things to clean up, but it is,
IMHO, getting reasonable close to mergable.  Ignoring
variable-indexing[1], I'm down to <40 regressions.

[1] the variable-indexing tests need some more work in freedreno/ir3
backend, because all of a sudden things are not just arrays of vec4.
The issue is not glsl_to_nir related, and would not apply to other
drivers (which already lower vars to regs).  But for now to cut down
on the noise in piglit results I've been -x variable-indexing.

One remaining issue that I've run into is that built-in uniforms don't
get packed in the same way that normal struct uniforms do.  Ie. for
gallium:

   struct {
      vec4 a;
      float b;
      float c;
      float d;
      float e;
  }

gets packed as 5*vec4.  But, for example, gl_FogParameters, which has
conceptually the same structure layout, actually has a physical layout
of 2*vec4:

  static const struct gl_builtin_uniform_element gl_Fog_elements[] = {
     {"color", {STATE_FOG_COLOR}, SWIZZLE_XYZW},
     {"density", {STATE_FOG_PARAMS}, SWIZZLE_XXXX},
     {"start", {STATE_FOG_PARAMS}, SWIZZLE_YYYY},
     {"end", {STATE_FOG_PARAMS}, SWIZZLE_ZZZZ},
     {"scale", {STATE_FOG_PARAMS}, SWIZZLE_WWWW},
  };

In fact, I'm not even sure that it is guaranteed that STATE_FOG_COLOR
and STATE_FOG_PARAMS get allocated to two consecutive vec4's.

What I'm thinking of at the moment is to write a lowering pass to run
before nir_lower_io, which would replace built-in uniform var's w/ the
equiv physical state elements.  Ie. replace "gl_FogParameters gl_Fog;"
with "vec4 fog.color;" plus "vec4 fog.params;", and make corresponding
fixups to the load_var's.

Thoughts?  Better ideas?

This would, I think, need to live outside of nir, since it would need
access to _mesa_builtin_uniform_desc.  So not quite sure where it
should live.  Maybe src/glsl/glsl_nir_lower_builtin_uniforms.cpp?

btw, I *think* this issue only applies to built-in uniforms, but if it
also applies to inputs/outputs/etc pls let me know.

BR,
-R