[Mesa-dev] Discussion: C++11 std::future in Mesa

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 13:53:22 UTC 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:02 PM, ⚛ <0xe2.0x9a.0x9b at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 2:19 PM, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'll let you figure it out by yourself.
>
> Why would you withhold information if you already have it? Are you a
> "bad person" or something?
>
> As far as my memory goes, I have never posted the sentence "I'll let
> you figure it out by yourself" to the Internet because I believe it is
> wrong.

:)

Shader compilation at game loading time is never a problem, so we can
ignore that.

Shader compilation right before draw calls is what's unpleasant and
when people talk about it in the negative sense, they mean this.

Because of external factors you can't predict, your driver suddenly
receives a bunch of shaders that take 2000 ms to compile right before
a draw call. Your budget is 16 ms per frame to get 30 fps, but you
can't render the frame if you don't compile those shaders. The problem
is how to fit the compilation that takes 2000 ms and is required
render the frame into 16 ms. Can you see where I'm going?

Marek